Friday, February 1, 2008

God's will

On Monday night at Alive, Mike started a series of messages on how to know God's will for your life. What he said on Monday was really nothing new to me, but it was good to hear and be reminded of it all again.

Then at Life Group (Bible study, caregroup, home group, whatever you want to call it) on Wednesday we were talking about it more and I got to thinking. I was struck by a really cool thought, and that is, I know that for right now, I am doing God's will for my life. I know that He has called me to do what I am doing. I thought that was pretty cool.

I'm not doing exactly what I thought I would be doing a few years ago. When I began my business degree, my intention was to finish it and then go on to a professional accounting program and become a tax accountant (I know, a little wierd). But, upon finishing my degree I just wasn't finding work in the right places to get started on that. After a bit of a detour with just doing some basic bookkeeping for a repair shop, God finally got me to where I now know He wanted me from the beginning . . . working in sort of a behind-the-scenes way in ministry. Yes, I sit at a desk and deal with numbers all day, but no ministry of any size happens without people who keep track of the money and all that kind of stuff. I know that, at least for now, this is where God wants me!

This doesn't mean I don't have dreams of other things, that I also feel are from God. Some of you have probably heard me talk about some of them, the main one being my desire to see the average church person have the skills to take things that a preacher or teacher says and go back to their Bible and check the accuracy of those things for themselves. This is something I have a huge passion for and it drives to do what I can now. I have no idea if some time in the future I will be called to do this for my work. Right now I know it's something I am called to do in my non-work time.

I won't say that figuring out God's will for my life has been easy. It hasn't. But, I do know that it is worth seeking out what it is, because when you figure out what it is, there is nothing that can compare to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment