Tuesday, May 27, 2008

what could be my undoing? my downfall?

I've been reading about the life of Solomon in 1 Kings recently. It's been a good read, but nothing really new. That is, until a couple of days ago . . . It wasn't exactly new or something that I hadn't read before, but it struck me and stayed with me for the last little while.

I was reading in 1 Kings 11 where it says:
"As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God . . ." (NIV).
Solomon was granted incredible wisomd and wealth by God. But he had one thing that led his completely astray in his life.

God had made it clear that Israel was not intermarry with the nations around them. But that's exactly what Solomon did anyways. He took wives from the foreign nations around Israel. They came into his royal household with the gods of their people. And they eventually led Solomon astray with their gods.

It got me thinking about my own life. What is that thing in my life that I won't let go of that could be my undoing - my downfall? What is that area of my life where I could be led astray because I'm holding on to something that God has told me is wrong but I enjoy it so I go there anyways?

I think most of us have those things in our lives if we're really honest about it. We have something that we know is wrong but we don't want to give it up. And it is that one thing that could lead to our downfall as followers of Christ.

I think that we need to be brutally honest with ourselves about what that is. If we don't admit that it's a problem then we're really in trouble. And we need to admit to ourselves and to God, and then ask for God to help us to change it.
(OK, bit of a rabbit trail here, but it's important: This may seem counter-intuitive when it's something, or someone, that we really enjoy . . . but, I believe, if we don't take this step we will be in troubl because of it in the future. Now, back on track . . .)
Sometimes just admitting to ourselves and to God isn't enough. Many times we need that accountability that comes from another person that we trust knowing and having permission to ask us about it.

So . . . what is it in your life? Are you willing to admit? And learn to let go of that?

As Solomon's story shows, when we refuse to obey God in one area of our lives, it can lead to our destruction in other areas of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment