Tuesday, December 9, 2008

honest with God

Do you ever find yourself trying to come up with the "right" words to say when you are praying?
Do you avoid praying out loud in a group because you are afraid you will not have the "right" words to say?

God wants for us to be honest with Him . . . and that means telling Him how we really feel - what we are really thinking. But I find that it is not always easy. I get caught up in looking for the words that I think I am supposed to say and often do not even end up saying what I wanted to say. I can use all the "right" words and ask for all the "right" things but that may not be how I am actually feeling or what I am actually wanting to say.

I have been reading in Job lately and the other day I was struck by the utter honesty with which Job talks to God. Job does not look for the "right" words, he just tells God how he feels. There is no holding back on Job's part in what he says. As the reader you know how he feels. Job is honest with God.

I have started to think that this is something we need to do more of (well, at least I do). Rather than trying to find the "right" words, we need to learn to tell God honestly what we feel and what we think. It is not a surprise to God that we feel or think that way so why would we not honestly say it.

In the past few days I have been trying to do this. Believe me . . . it is not proving as easy as it sounds like it should be. I have all these ideas in my head of what I "should" be saying. But, as I have taken the time to practice (for lack of a better word) this I have found an incredible freedom in it. There is something freeing about not trying to say the "right"things all the time.

So, I want to challenge those of you who may be reading this to take some time to reflect on your own prayers to God. Are you honest? Or are you always looking for the "right" words to say? Are there changes that need to be made for you to actually be honest with God when you pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment