Friday, January 2, 2009

do i really know Scripture?

I have been thinking a lot about how much I actually know Scripture in the past couple of weeks. I mean I know a lot about the Bible and what is in there. But I have been thinking a lot about how much I actually know what it says. I find that quite often I end up in a situation where I know that the Bible has something to say about a topic and if I have my Bible I can find it eventually because I know where to look on the page to find it, but I do not actually know what the verse or passage has to say about it.

As I have thought about this more, I have come to the conclusion that I want to actually know more of the Bible . . . not just know about it or the page that it is on in my Bible . . . but to actually know it. To have passages and verses that I know so well that I can remember them without having to have my Bible in front of me.

I am not usually one to make New Year's Resolutions, but this is one that I have made this year. I want to actually memorise Scripture . . . not just read it and know about it . . . but actually know what it says.

I wonder if that is something that more followers of Christ need in their own lives. As a kid I was often memorizing Bible verses for Sunday school or another kid's program at church, but as I got older that stopped. If it was important for us to do it as kids, why do we seem to think it does not have to same importance now. As I have thought about it recently I have started to think that maybe it is even more important now - maybe it is something we need to make more of a priority in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment