Tuesday, June 23, 2009

dissatisfied?

So, I'm one of those people who collects quotes that strike me as cool or thought-provoking or interesting. Maybe I'm a bit strange because I have this file on my computer that I put them all in so I can find them later . . . but it's getting a little large so I miss some good ones. Anyways, in some reading I was doing recently, I came across a quote that made me think.

Many of those who think they are dissatisfied with Christianity are really dissatisfied with something else - their own grasp of Christianity. For most of us, we have scraped the surface and nothing more, yet we mistakenly believe our superficial encounter represents the gospel in its totality. (Alister McGrath)

As I've been thinking about this for the last few days, I've really begun to dwell on the truth in this. There is so much to learn and discover and encounter as a follower of Christ, yet we so often get to a certain point in our journeys and just stop there. We don't keep learning and growing, and then we get bored. And we wonder why?

I wonder if maybe in those times when we feel ourselves starting to get bored in our walk with Christ we need to be intentional about doing something or getting involved in something that will stretch our understanding - that will help us to grow. We don't have to stay where we are. We don't have to become dissatisfied with the small bit of Christianity we understand. There is so much to learn and begin to understand that we can be kept busy and satisfied and learning and growing for all of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment