Thursday, June 10, 2010

Psalm 139:7-12

More thoughts from Psalm 139. There is just so much in this psalm to learn about God and how He sees us.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
     Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
     if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
     if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
     your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
     and the light become night around me,"
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
     the night will shine like the day.
     for darkness is as light to you.
                                        -Psalm 139:7-12

What an amazing God we serve!

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? (Ps. 139:7)
We cannot escape from God's presence. There is nowhere we can go where God is not.

If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if  make my bed in the depths, you are there. (Ps. 139:8)
No matter how high or how low we try to go to escape from God, we cannot. We will forever be "running into God" everywhere that we turn in trying to run from Him. There is absolutely nowhere we can go to escape from God!

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. (Ps. 139:9-10)
Everywhere we go in life we can be led by God's hand. It does not matter what has happened in our lives, God is still leading us and guiding us safely through. There is nothing that can happen that will separate us from God's hand in our lives. He is always there to guide and protect us - even when we try to run. We can still count in Him to be there when we come to our senses again.

If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be as dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Ps. 139:11-12)
Even seeking the darkest places in our world will not separate us from God. There is an odd comfort that comes from knowing we can be in the darkest place of our lives and God will still be able to see us clear as if it were the middle of a sunny, cloudless day. He cannot be deterred by darkness. God does not see darkness; all He sees is us and He wants to draw us back to the light. He will not leave us alone in the darkness!

This portion of Psalm 139 makes it very clear that we cannot escape from God's presence no matter how hard we try to. God will always be there when we are willing to look and acknowledge. This also means, that no matter the circumstances we find ourselves in we can always count on God to be there. He is the One Person that we never have to fear is going to leave us. If we cannot escape from His presence, then it is not possible for Him to not be there when we turn. We may choose to do our best to ignore His presence at times, but that does not mean that He is not there the moment we choose to acknowledge His presence with us - His presence that has been there even when we refused to acknowledge that is was. How amazing is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment