Monday, July 12, 2010

nothing is hidden from God

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to Whom we must give an account." (Hebrews 4:13, NIV).

I don't know about you, but when I read that verse I have two seemingly conflicting responses. One is relief. Relief that there is one Person with whom I can let down every guard and be the most authentic me possible. The other is dread. Dread because it means no matter how well I've hidden things I've done or said from other people, I've never hidden them from God.

In many ways, this is kind of a circular pattern of thinking. Thinking about there being nothing in my life that is hidden from God may be a bit fearful at times, but as I dwell on that thought longer and realize that, in spite of knowing and seeing it all, He still loves me brings me to feeling relief that I can be completely real in one relationship in my life. And then, I go back to thinking about the things I've done that I wish I could have hidden from God, which brings in an element of dread. But, then I go back to relief that He loves me anyways. This is one circle of thinking that really could go on forever.

Hebrews 4:15 goes on to explain an even greater reason why knowing that nothing is hidden from God's sight brings relief and peace into our lives when it says, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin." (NIV). Jesus knows what it's like to be in our shoes when we face temptation- He's been there. That means that not being able to hide my struggles from Him doesn't surprise Him. And because He understands what it's like and can see them anyways, I can confidently go to Him (Hebrews 4:16) for help to resist temptation and forgiveness when I give in to temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment