Saturday, April 7, 2012

Holy Saturday

So, I went to a Good Friday service tonight - not yesterday. Seems a little strange to put it that way, but it made me think about today in a different way than I usually do. To be honest, most years the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday passes for me with little thought. It's just another day on the calendar. But, today I stopped and thought a little more.

It's almost hard to put myself in the shoes of Jesus' followers on this day. Because I know what comes tomorrow, it's easy to just jump straight to that. But, Saturday was a day Jesus' followers had to live through. They had watched Jesus die and be placed in a tomb. As far as they knew, He was gone for good. They had no idea what was coming.

The feelings of hopelessness, sorrow, and despair must have been overwhelming. The One they had given up everything for had died. They were left alone and lost. Everything they had given their lives to for the last three years had been taken away from them - at least as far as they knew. That would have been hard to live in.

And so, I pause, and I wait. I wait until Sunday, when everything changes. And we celebrate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment