Tuesday, July 31, 2012

impossible?

Music is a very important part of my life, so I often have lyrics from songs running through my head. These lyrics often form the basis of what I write. This post would be another one of those.

For the last few weeks I've had one line from a song on repeat in my head. The song is called What Faith Can Do by Kutless. The lyrics stuck in my head say: "Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try." The first time I heard those words a few years ago, they were a challenge I needed to hear. And today, they're still a good reminder for me.

How many times have you felt like there is something you should do and then talked yourself out of it because it sounds like it might be "impossible"? Or it seems like too big of a challenge for you? If you're like me or lots of other people I've talked to, you've probably done that at least a few times in your life. Maybe you're wrestling with that right now.

Sometimes God gives us dreams of things to do that seem impossible when we look at it. Often, they would be if we tried to do them on our own. And that makes it easy to talk ourselves out of it. We use the word "impossible" to give ourselves a reason not to do it.

We don't want to try something that might not work, so we don't try at all. We think if we try something and it doesn't go exactly as it should that we are failure. So, it's easier to just declare it to be impossible beforehand so that we don't have to take the chance.

But, I wonder how much of what God has for us we miss when we do that. What lessons do we miss? What opportunities do we miss? What would happen if we tried at all? What would happen if it didn't go the way we planned?

If we try something and it doesn't work, the world won't end. And it doesn't mean we're failure. It just means that what we tried didn't work, and if we seek to, we can learn from that experience for the next thing we try.

Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try

Over the last year or so, I've sought to remove the word "impossible" from my vocabulary. Instead, I've tried to replace it with acknowledgement that I may not be able to do it on my own, but if God is telling me to do it, He will help me to do it.

What about you? Have you missed things because you decided they were impossible? Do you need to remove the word "impossible" from your vocabulary and replace it with something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment