Thursday, August 23, 2012

Women of Faith: Part 2

A couple of days ago I wrote a bit about my time at the Women of Faith conference in Spokane, Washington. Since then, I've been thinking about it more. And processing what it is about Women of Faith I enjoy so much.

I'm one of those people who will take pretty much any opportunity that comes my way to go to a conference, retreat, or seminar. As long as something about it interests me a little bit I'll do my best to make sure I can go. I guess you could call me a "conference junkie." I just love to learn and now that I'm out of school this is a good way to do that.

But there's something about Women of Faith that feels different than most of what I have attended. Like I said a couple of days ago, there's something unique about a hockey arena full of women praising God together. I love that and it's even greater because you hear the voices from those sitting across from you in the arena while you sing. But even that is not the main reason I love going.

As I think about it, my mind keeps going back to waiting in line on Friday night for the doors to open for us to get in. As we stood there, we have conversations with the women in line around us. They were strangers, but there was something more important in life that we had in common that brought us together. It wasn't that we had really deep conversations - we talked about where we were from, how many times we had come to a Women of Faith conference. But that conversation flowed because of the connection we shared as sisters in the family of God.

It didn't matter that some of us were from Canada and most of them were from the USA, or that some of us were from cities and some were from small towns, or that some were married and some were single, or whether anyone had kids or grandkids. What mattered was that we loved God. What mattered was more important than the things you see from the outside.

The reminder of how diverse the family of God is in this world is something I love. And Women of Faith, for me, is just a small reminder of that. Earthly things aren't what matter. Spiritual things are the important things that draw us together. As the family of God we need to cross the lines we draw and come together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment