Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Psalm 130:1-2

I've been working on a study of the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120-134) recently. It has been a great study. The other day, we got to what is probably one of my favourite psalms out of this particular collection - possibly one of my favourite psalms overall.

Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD,
     Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
     to my cry for mercy.
If you, LORD, kept a record of sins,
     Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
     so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits,
     and in His Word I put my hope.
I wait for the Lord,
     more than watchmen wait for the morning,
     more than watchmen wait for the morning.
Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
     for with the LORD is unfailing love
     and with Him is full redemption.
He Himself will redeem Israel
     from all their sins.
(Psalm 130, NIV)

I love the psalmists honesty with God and declaration of truth about God in this Psalm.

I want to focus mostly on what the first couple of verses in this Psalm have to say today.
Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD,
     Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
     to my cry for mercy.

God hears our prayers when we cry to Him. He hears our cries for mercy. God listen attentively to us. No matter what the depths we may in when we call to Him, He is there and He listening and He answers our cries for mercy.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I need the reminder that I can call to God from anywhere and He will hear and answer my call. It seems like it's something I far too easily forget, but the Psalms give us an examples of exactly this over and over. It's an example we would do well to learn from. But, it is also only the beginning of it. The psalmists never stop at this cry, but always go on to praise God for who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment