Saturday, December 1, 2012

a God of beauty and love

Laying in the middle of a field. Watching the night sky. Lost in what we see.

Beautiful.

Awesome.

Amazing.

Nothing but those brief words were exchanged. The rest of the time spent in silent awe.

Lights dancing in the sky. Greens. Blues. Yellows. Purples. The Northern Lights were putting on quite a show that night. They filled the sky as far as we could see.

It didn't matter that it was cold. We stayed huddled close together.

It didn't matter that it was late and we should have been sleeping. We would go to class in the morning tired.

We were captivated by what we were watching. By the awesome beauty of a sky come alive. We didn't want to miss a moment of it.

Finally, we got up and headed inside to get some sleep. The cold had become too cold and we had to move. Even then we walked in silence back to the dorm enjoying the last moments of what we had been watching.

Sleep didn't come easy for me that night. I lay in bed wondering at the God who had created what we had just watched.

What kind of God would take the time to create something like that?

What kind of God would cause light to dance across the sky at night?

What kind of God would care enough about the details to create something so incredible, yet so small in the midst of all creation?

A God of love.

A God of beauty.

A God who loves to create beauty.

That is the God Who would do that.

And that is the God I serve.

What an amazing reminder of Who God is. A glimpse of His character.

With those thoughts I finally drifted off the sleep. A sleep that seemed much to short when my alarm went off. But I didn't regret that lack of sleep. The beauty of it all and the revelation that God gave me made it worth it. I wouldn't change anything about that night just to get more sleep. Sometimes other things are more important. This was one of those times.

The evening I've written about here happened just over eight years ago, but it's a night that I've never forgotten. There was something about the beauty of it all and the reminder of Who the God I serve is that I don't ever want to forget. Sometimes life has moments like that. Moments we don't want to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment