Thursday, December 13, 2012

Recapture the Wonder

Sometimes I find myself stopped somewhere in awe of the beauty that surrounds me. Usually this happens when I'm outside somewhere.

It could be overlooking a lake.

Or looking down from a mountain top.

Or looking up at the night sky.

Or watching a sunset.

Or standing in the middle of an open space in the snow or rain.

Usually the place is quiet - at least from the noise of people or vehicles or TVs or phones. All I hear is the wind and the birds in the air.

In those moments I feel a sense of wonder. A sense of awe as I do what I can to take enough in to never forget the moment.

That sense of wonder isn't something I feel often. And it's often fleeting. A few moments and then I'm back to all that's going on in life.

But this Christmas, I want that sense of wonder again. The sense of wonder that comes with the story of Jesus' birth.

It's a story I know well. I've heard it read hundreds of times in my life. But I want to look at it with fresh perspective this Christmas.

I imagine there was much wonder at it all that night all those years ago when Jesus was born.

Wonder for Mary and Joseph as they looked at this tiny baby they had been told was the long-awaited Messiah.

Wonder for the shepherds as they saw the angels and heard their message.

Wonder for the shepherds again as they too looked upon the tiny baby in the manger who was supposed to be the Messiah.

That's something I don't want to miss this Christmas. Wonder over how God chose for His Son to enter our world to save us. I think it's something needed in the midst of a busy season. It makes us take the time to reflect on why we celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment