Saturday, March 16, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Rest

I'm trying something new this week. I'm linking up with Five Minute Friday. You can find it on Lisa-Jo Baker's blog. It's about writing on one topic for five minutes with no editing and then sharing it. You can read more about it on her blog.

Today's Word is Rest

Rest . . .

It seems to be something we often talk about wanting more of in our lives. We want it. But we can't seem to find it.

Maybe we never find it because we aren't serious enough when we say we want it to take the steps we need to actually find it. We're not really willing to make the necesary lifestyle changes it would require for us to find more rest.

What would happen if we did do whatever was necessary to find the time to rest that we say we need?

Would the world really stop? Would things really fall apart?

My guess is that we would find that things keep going, even if we stop. At least most things would.

And if they stop just because we decide to rest instead, maybe they weren't that important to anyone else either. So, why were we spending our time doing them when we really needed to rest?

Rest is important. We all know that we can't keep going forever. But I think sometimes we try to do so. It seems like what we're expected to do. But those expectations just might be our own, not others. Chances are other people won't notice to nearly the degree we think they will.

So, maybe we need to get specific about steps we can take to find the right amount of rest in our lives. Rather than just talk about it, we need to do something.


You can find the link to today's Five Mintue Friday post here.

2 comments:

  1. This is so good, Tamara! The words "willing", "specific steps" "expectations", and "important" stick out to me in what you wrote. I often have that mommy of 3 young children guilt where I plow ahead and try to meet the needs of everyone else before my own. Thank you for reminding me to take time to rest so that I can be a better me! Keep joining in on FMF and thank you for reading my post!

    ReplyDelete