Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jesus Says, "I Am"

Then Jesus declared, "I am the Bread of Life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
 
When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, "I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
 
Therefore Jesus said again, "Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. . . . I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved."
John 10:7&9
 
"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. . . . I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me."
John 10:11&14
 
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live; even though they die."
John 11:25
 
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:6
 
"I am the vine, and my Father is the gardener. . . . I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
John 1:1&5
 
 
I'm doing a Bible study on the life of John, the disciple of Christ, and in last week's homework, we started looking at some of the things He's written in Scripture. These seven "I Am" statements are recorded in the Gospel John wrote.
 
Spoken by Jesus, they contain some incredible truths about who Jesus is and what He came to do for us. I think when we really begin to understand what Jesus was saying when He said these things, it can change the way we live our lives.
 
Jesus is the Bread of Life. He satisfies our hunger and thirst. Jesus isn't talking about physical needs for food and water. He is talking about His ability to satisfy our spiritual needs. We can take all of our needs to Him.
 
Jesus is the Light of the world. He gives light to the path that we are to walk, so that our next step is clear as we walk, following Him.
 
Jesus if the gate for the sheep. A gate is how you enter something and it can be closed behind you for protection. Jesus is the way we get salvation. And as the gate, He provides the safety that keeps us once we're saved.
 
Jesus is the Good Shepherd. Sheep follow the shepherd's voice because they know it. We learn to follow Jesus' voice as we learn just how much He loves us.
 
Jesus is the resurrection and the life. He makes life exactly what we need it to be. Without Him, we are dead in our lives. But with Jesus, He makes us alive, even though we have died.
 
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. He provides the way we get to the Father. He is the way we get to be with God.
 
Jesus is the vine we are attached to as His followers. We receive our life from Him alone. Without Him we won't produce any fruit.
 
Seven simple statements that can be life-changing if we embrace the truth they contain.

No comments:

Post a Comment