Friday, April 19, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Jump

Five Minute Friday post today. Joining Lisa-Jo Baker and others. Today's word is jump. Five minutes of unedited (well, I check for spelling mistakes and grammar, but nothing else) writing to share on a word given to us to write about.


"Jump," she called to me from below. "You'll be fine. The ropes and harness will catch you."

It was the last stage of the obstacle course I was doing. I never thought I'd get this far. I don't like being up so high. But now that I had made it this far . . . would I actually be able to make it? Jumping off this ledge was the last thing I wanted to do.

After what seemed like forever, I finally did. I really didn't have a choice. There wasn't another way down.

I fell for a while, then everything caught and I flew through the air. I was never more grateful to reach the end though. When my feet finally hit the landing area at the end I was glad. But I was also glad that I had done it. I had conquered a fear.

As I look back on that one thing, I see a lesson for the rest of my life.

Sometimes, we're called to jump. God is calling us to jump. And trust that He will catch us.

We have a choice when we are called to jump. We can stay safe and stay where we are. Or we can jump and experience the fear and exhilaration of taking a chance - of not playing it safe.

I know which one makes life more interesting. But, I also know that I don't usually choose that.

Which choice will you make when God calls you to jump?

3 comments:

  1. I love jumping for joy with my Saviour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I wrote about something similar-- and things with ropes and harnesses scare me too :-) Glad to "meet" you via FMF! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete