Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chosen by God

           "But you, Israel, My servant,
                    Jacob, whom I have chosen,
                    you descendants of Abraham My friend,
          I took you from the ends of the earth,
                    from its farthest corners I called you.
          I said, 'You are My servant',
                    I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
          So do not fear, for I am with you;
                    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
          I will strengthen you and help you;
                    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
                                                     Isaiah 41:8-10

These words were first written by the prophet Isaiah to Israel when they had wandered from God. God was reminding Israel, through the prophet Isaiah, of how much He loved them and how He had chosen them.

Israel was Chosen by God

Over and over in these verses, God reminds Israel that He has chosen them. Chosen them instead of any other group of people on earth. Israel was chosen as God's people. They were God's servants - chosen to do His will.

And because they were chosen by God, they had no reason to fear anything that would come their way. God would be with them. God would help them. God would uphold them.

This isn't the only place in Isaiah that has these words to say. It's a theme that is repeated over and over.

          "But now, this is what the Lord says -
                    He who created you, Jacob,
                    He who formed you, Israel:
          Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
                   I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
          When you pass through the waters,
                   I will be with you;
          and when you pass through the rivers,
                    they will not sweep over you.
          When you walk through the fire,
                   you will not be burned;
                   the flames will not set you ablaze.
          For I am the Lord your God,
                   the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
          I give Egypt for your ransom,
                    Cush and Seba in your stead.
          Since you are precious and honoured in My sight,
                    and because I love you,
          I will give people in exchange for you,
                    nations in exchange for your life.
                                                   Isaiah 43:1-4

God is the One Who created every person in Israel - His chosen people. He called each of them by name. They would have no reason to fear what came their way because God was with them. He loved them to the point that He would give up other nations to redeem them.

We Are Chosen by God

These words to Israel through the prophet Isaiah can be spoken to us as well.

God has also chosen us. He has not rejected us.

He leaves us with no reason to fear.

God will strengthen us for what comes our way.

God will help us if we are willing to let Him.

God will uphold us in the midst of anything.

God will walk with us through every challenge or hard time that comes our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment